International News Affairs
- Today (7th July) is Global Forgiveness Day.
- This day was created in 1994 by the Christian Embassy of Christ’s Ambassadors.
- Important Note: There is already a Forgiveness Day in August (which is observed on 1st Sunday in August each year), founded by the Worldwide Forgiveness Alliance, but the Global Forgiveness Day is different. This was founded by CECA (Christian Embassy of Christ’s Ambassadors).
- Today is World Chocolate Day.
- This day marks 467 years since chocolate was introduced to Europe.
- The French government has announced that the country will end sales of petrol and diesel vehicles by 2040 as part of an ambitious plan to meet its targets under the Paris climate accord.
- India and Israel jointly launched a $40 million (over ₹258 crore) technology fundduring PM Modi’s visit to the country.
- The Israel India Innovation Initiative Fund (I4F), will receive $4 million a year from each government for five years.
- The fund is aimed at encouraging Indians to invest in Israel’s technology ecosystem and to open development centres in Israel.
Places in News
- The Unesco World Heritage committee has put the West Bank city of Hebron’s Old Town on its list of world heritage in danger, drawing outrage from Israel.
- The decision was taken in Krakow, Poland, on a proposal from the Palestinian side.
National News Affairs
- India recently-enforced Anti-Hijacking Act, 2016.
- This act prescribes death penalty for hijack conspirators in case of a casualty, and life imprisonment otherwise.
- The central government has approved the renaming of two villages in Haryana, after complaints from villagers.
- The Ganda village has been renamed to Ajit Nagar and Kinnar has been renamed to Gaibi Nagar.
- Karnataka‘s Urban Land Transport Directorate has proposed the introduction of 4,000 GPS-equipped public-sharing bicycles at a cost of about ₹60 crore in Bengaluru.
- It also proposed setting up 350 docking points, including four at metro stations, for the bicycles.
- This comes after Chief Minister Siddaramaiah proposed the idea of a bicycle sharing system in his budget speech.
- The government is going to link promotions of IPS officers to their physical fitness.
- A proposal in this regard has been circulated to all states and Union Territories for their comments.
- Important Points to Note :
- Currently, IPS officers are promoted based on the completion of required years of service.
- The proposed system of promotions is already being followed by the central para-military forces.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Customers of Banks will not suffer any loss if unauthorised electronic banking transactions are reported within three days, the Reserve Bank of India has announced today.
- Further, the amount involved will be credited to the accounts concerned within 10 days.
- These rules will be applicable for third-party breaches, where the deficiency lies neither with the bank nor with the customer but elsewhere in the system.
- Netherlands’ third-largest bank ABN AMRO today announced that it will no longer extend credit to clients in the tobacco industry.
- The bank’s decision came as it announced a new partnership with the Heart Foundation in its fight against smoking.
- India has slipped by one spot to become the4-largest foreign investor into the UK.
- The US remains on the top, investing in 577 projects in the UK, followed by China (including Hong Kong) in second place with 160 projects.
- RP Sanjiv Goenka Group Chairman, Sanjiv Goenkahas been nominated as the Chairman of the Board of Governors of Indian Institute of Technology – Kharagpur.
- He will serve as the Chairman for the tenure of three years.
Science & Technology
- A UN survey has revealed that Singapore is the Most cyber secure country in the world, followed by the US, Malaysia, Oman, and Estonia.
- Important Note: India ranked 25th in the list.
- Top 10 in the List :
- United States
- European and Japanese space agencies are building a joint mission to solar system’s smallest and “least explored” rocky planet Mercury.
- Two spacecraft, one each for ESA (European Space Agency) and JAXA(Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency), are scheduled to launch in October 2018 and would reach Mercury’s orbit seven years later, enduring 350ºC temperature.
- Pakistan has successfully test fired short-range surface-to-surface ballistic missile ‘Nasr‘.
- ‘Nasr’ is a high-precision weapon system with the ability to be deployed quickly.
Current Sports Affairs
- India’s Manpreet Kaur bagged Gold medal in women’s shot-puton the opening day of the Asian Athletics Championships 2017 in Bhubaneswar.
- Meanwhile, Vikas Gowda won the bronze medal in the men’s discus throw finals but failed to qualify for World Championships.