International News Affairs
- Today is World Milk Day
- This day was initiated on 1st June 2001 by the Food and Agriculture Organization(FAO) of the United Nations to celebrate all aspects of milk as a global food.
- Important Note:Don’t be confused this day with National Milk Day. National Milk Day is different. We observe National Milk Day on 26th November to celebrate the birth anniversary of Dr.Verghese Kurien.
- Today (1st June) isGlobal Day of Parents.
- This is a United Nations (UN) observance to honor parents and their commitment to children worldwide.
- Iceland has been named the World’s Most Peaceful Country, topping the Global Peace Indexfor the tenth consecutive year.
- New Zealand stood at 2nd position and 3rd place was occupied by
- Syria has been named the least peaceful country, followed by Afghanistan and Iraq.
- Important Note: India is ranked 137 out of 163 (last year’s rank 141).
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today attended the 18th India-Russia annual Summit with Russian President Vladimir Putin at St Petersburg.
- He also attended the St Petersburg International Economic Forum.
- Modi and Putin held wide-ranging talks on bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interests, including ways to boost energy and trade ties.
National News Affairs
- Responding to an RTI query on Subhash Chandra Bose, the Central government has announced that Netaji died in a plane crash in 1945.
- The Ministry of Home Affairs further clarified that man named Gumnamibaba or Bhagwanji, who was rumoured to be Bose reportedly living incognito in Uttar Pradesh till 1985, was not the nationalist leader himself.
Science & Technology
- The National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) is launching an unmanned spacecraft named ‘Parker Solar Probe‘ to the Sun on 31st July 2018.
- The mission to “touch” the Sun would reach within 60 lakh km of the solar surface, eight times closer than any man-made object before.
- The mission would study why Corona, Sun’s outer atmosphere (17 lakh ºC) is hotter than the surface (5,500 ºC).
Awards & Honours
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the 3rd most followed leader on Twitter in the world with over 3 crore 58 thousand followers, according to Twiplomacy Study 2017.
- While Pope Francis is the most followed world leader with over 3.37 crore followers across his nine language accounts, US President Donald Trump is ranked second with 3.01 crore followers.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The new₹1 note, which will be printed with a new design, is the only note to be printed by the Central government and not the RBI.
- It will have ‘Bharat Sarkar’ on its masthead.
- The notes will also have signatures of Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das and Rajiv Mehrishi, who was the Finance Secretary in 2015, when printing started.
- Telangana has launched a digital wallet namedT-Wallet for people to make public and private financial transactions.
- The service has been launched as “anytime anywhere digital payment option for everyone”.
- Note : This is first such initiative by any state government in the country.
Current Sports Affairs
- The ICC Champions Trophy 2017 began in London today with hosts England facing Bangladesh in the Opening match.
- India to play their first match with Pakistan on Sunday.
- The final of the Champions Trophy will be played on the 18th of June.
- Top 10 in ESPN’s 100 most famous active athletes in the world :
- Christiano Ronaldo
- Lebron James
- Lionel Messi
- Roger Federer
- Phil Mickelson
- Usain Bolt
- Kevin Durant
- Rafael Nadal
- Tiger Woods
- Indians in the List :
- Virat Kohli(13th)
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni (15th)
- Yuvraj Singh(90th)
- Suresh Raina (95th)