International News Affairs
- Today (18th May) is International Museum Day.
- This day is an occasion to raise awareness on how important museums are in the development of society.
- Theme of International Museum Day 2017 : “Museums and contested histories: Saying the unspeakable in museums”
- An eleven-judge bench of the International Court of Justice unanimously ruled to stay the execution of Kulbhushan Jadhav till it reaches a final decision on India’s appeal against a death sentence handed to him by Pakistan.
- The court also ruled that Jadhav had a right to consular access which was denied by Pakistan 16 times.
- India received the first artillery guns 30 years after the 1980s Bofors scandal today, as two of the 145 M777 ultra light artillery guns ordered from the US arrived ahead of schedule.
- The guns will be tested at the Pokhran field firing range in Rajasthan today.
- Out of the 145 guns, 120 will be assembled in India, by Mahindra Defence.
- These guns weigh almost half of what towed howitzers weigh, and hence, can be easily transported by the Army’s helicopters.
- The 55 mm/39-caliber howitzers have a maximum field range of around 30km. Manufactured by BAE Systems, the guns are used by the US, Australian and Canadian Armies.
- Austria has passed a new law which bans women from wearing full-face Islamic veils in public, in the latest restriction on the country’s Muslim population.
- The law also forbids distribution of the Quran and requires all migrants in Austria to participate in an “integration” year, during which they would take classes to learn German and ethics considered customary in Austria.
People in News
- Anshu Jamsenpa, a native of Bomdila in Arunachal Pradesh has scripted history by becoming the first Indian woman to scale Mount Everest for the 4th time.
- American musician Chris Cornell(52), known as the lead singer of bands Soundgarden and Audioslave, passed away.
- Cornell played an important role in the grunge movement during the 1990s.
- He’s also known for performing the theme song of 2006 James bond film ‘Casino Royale’.
- Union Environment Minister Anil Madhav Dave (60) passed away.
- A member of the Rajya Sabha since 2009, Dave was sworn in as minister with independent charge of environment, forest and climate change last year.
- Veteran actress Reema Lagoo (59) passed away.
- She was known for acting in films like Hum Aapke Hain Koun, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Kal Ho Naa Ho, and TV serials such as Tu Tu Main Main.
Awards & Honours
- Indian scientist Shrinivas Kulkarni has won the prestegious Dan David prize for his work in the field of astronomy.
- The $1-million prize will be conferred at a ceremony in Tel Aviv, Israel on May 21.
- The 70th edition of the Cannes Film Festival began in France today.
- The festival features special movie screenings and awards are given to films that represent “arthouse cinema with a wide audience appeal”.
- Note : Indian celebrities including Aishwarya Rai, Deepika Padukone and Sonam Kapoor will attend the festival, which will be held from May 17 to May 28.
- American television host Jimmy Kimmel will host the 90th Oscars in 2018.
MOUs & Agreements
- Indian state-owned telecommunications company Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has inked agreements with Facebook and MobiKwik in order to popularize the internet and its value added services among its customers.
- Further, BSNL has also signed a third MoU with Disney Land India to offer premium online gaming services to its mobile customers.
- The series of MoUs signed by BSNL comes at the backdrop of a stiff competition faced by BSNL from private telecom companies like Airtel and Reliance Jio.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- Brand finance in its 2017 report that lists India’s 100 most valuable brands has named Tata Group as the most valuable brand in India at an estimated brand value of $13.1 billion.
- Top 5 in the List :
- Tata Group
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC)
- State Bank of India
- Marian Ilitch, the owner of Little Caesars pizza chain and Detroit’s MotorCity Casino Hotel, has topped the Forbes List of America’s Richest Self-Made Women for 2017 with a net worth of $5.1 billion.
- She is followed by roofing supply company ABC Supply’s Diane Hendricks with a $4.9 billion fortune, and Judy Love and Oprah Winfrey, worth $2.9 billion each.
- World’s biggest and most powerful wind turbines have begun generating electricity off the Liverpool coast in the UK.
- Danish company DONG Energy has installed 32 turbines, each 195 metres tall, with blades longer than nine buses combined.
- The wind farm can power over 2,30,000 homes and is the first time 8MW turbines have been commercially used.
- India has imposed anti-dumping duty on a Chinese chemical used in pharma industry and aluminium foil to protect domestic industry from cheap imports.
- Top 5 in the List :
Current Sports Affairs
- Umpire Sundaram Ravi will be the only Indian umpire to officiate in matches during the upcoming ICC Champions Trophy