International news AFFAIRS
- India wins Re-Election to United Nations Council On Economic, Social Issues.
- India is among the 18 countries re-elected to the United Nations’ Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) for another three-year term.
- India obtained 183 votes, the second highest after Japan in the Asia Pacific category.
- Note : Pakistan, whose term on the Council is expiring this year, was also seeking re-election but lost as it got only one vote.
- Britain and the European Union are going to start Brexit negotiations on June 19 as planned initially.
- Note : Britain had been a member of the EU for 44 years.
- The United Nations General Assembly has approved the establishment of anew United Nations office of counter-terrorism to help Member States implement UN’s global counter-terrorism strategy.
- UN will now transfer the relevant functions out of the UN Department of Political Affairs (DPA) into the new body.
- India ranks 75th in environmental impact survey says Report
- India has ranked 75 in environmental impact survey conducted by UKbased
Money Super Market. The survey highlights the individual contribution to the world’s climate and also outlines areas for improvement for each country.
More information about Environmental Impact Survey:
- The survey has been topped by Southern African country. Mozambique as almost all its energy use comes from green sources.
- India ranked dismal 75th, with renewable energy making up only 15.2% of all energy used; only 2.2% of waste water being recycled, and municipal waste of 0.34 kg per person being generated daily.
- Although Mozambique has topped the survey, its neighbouring country South Africa has fared poorly ranking at 95 However South Africa has performed better than developed economies such as US, Canada and Australia.
NATIONAL NEWS aFFAIRS
- Tamil Nadu’s Higher Education Minister KP Anbazhagan has announced that all transgender students will get free education in the Manonmaniam Sundaranar University in Tirunelveli.
- A monthly stipend of ₹3000 for “meritorious students” was also announced.
- Former Chief Justice of India (CJI) PN Bhagwati(95), who is credited with introducing the concept of Public Interest Litigation (PIL), passed away.
- Ireland‘s Parliament today voted 57-50 to confirm Indian-origin minister Leo Varadkar as the country’s new Prime Minister.
- With this, the 38 year old has became the country’s youngest and first gay Prime Minister.
AWARDS & HONORS
- Noted writer Yeshe Dorjee Thongshiwas honored with the 5th Bhupen Hazarika National Award 2017.
- This award honours an outstanding literary work at national and international level.
- The Salman Khan starrer 2016 film Sultan (Directed by Ali Abbas Zafar) is set to be screened at Shanghai International Film Festival 2017.
BANKING, BUSINESS & ECONOMIC NEWS
- The government has made Aadhaar mandatory for opening bank accounts as well as for financial transactions of ₹50,000 and above.
- Existing bank account holders have been asked to furnish their Aadhaar number by December 31, 2017, failing which the account will become invalid.
- The merger between Flipkart and eBay India has been approved by the Competition Commission of India (CCI).
- Note : The CCI’s approval is necessary for the formal completion of any acquisition and merger deals in the country.
- The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) has approved $150 million equity investment loan to the India Infrastructure Fund.
- Important Note : This loan will be the bank’s first equity investment to fund private projects.
- China, ADB launch green financing platform to fight pollution
- China and the Asia Development Bank (ADB) have launched a green financing platform to cut pollution in the smoghit BeijingTianjinHebei region on 16 of June 2017.
- The financing platform was launched by the ADB and the China National Investment and
Guaranty Corporation (I&G), the State Development and Investment Corporation (SDIC), as
well as China’s finance ministry and National Development and Reform Commission.
- China selected five regions this week to take part in pilot government green
- It would explore new green credit mechanisms, including the granting of loans that accept
emission trading earnings as collateral.
- The bank late last year approved a loan of 458 million euros ($510.58 million) for the
- The government is only expected to provide around 1015 percent of the 34 trillion yuan
of green investment China needs every year over the next five years.
♦ Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines
♦ Founded: 19 December 1966
♦ President: Takehiko Nakao
MOUS & AGREEMENTS
- US Defence Department Pentagon has signed a deal to selldomestically manufactured F-15 fighter jets for $12 billion to Qatar despite President Donald Trump criticising the Gulf nation for allegedly supporting terrorism.
- The sale which aims at increasing security cooperation and interoperability between the two nations signals US support for Qatar which has been facing regional isolation.
Current SPORTS NEWS
- India defeated Bangladesh by 9 wickets to reach the Champions Trophy 2017
- Now India will face arch-rivals Pakistan.
- Kolkata is going to host an exhibition match between Real Madrid Legends and Barcelona Legends on September 15.
- This match will be a tribute to Barcelona legend Johan Cruyff.
- India’s Skipper Virat Kohli has created a record by becoming the quickest batsman to score 8000 runs in one-day international cricket beating South Africa’s AB de Villier’s record by seven fewer innings.