International News Affairs
- In a crackdown on child sex tourism, Australia will ban convicted paedophiles from leaving Australia and cancel their passports.
- The new laws, to be introduced in Parliament, will apply to convicts while they are on the offenders’ register.
- Paedophile meaning :a person who is sexually attracted to children.
National News Affairs
- Today isHindi Journalism Day.
- On this day in the year 1826, the first Hindi newspaper of India called Udant Martand (The Rising Sun) was edited and published.
- With this, the Hindi Journalism completed its 187 years in India.
- Goa is celebrating its30th Statehood Day
- It was on this day in 1987 that Goa became the 25th state of India.
- It was a Union Territory along with Daman and Diu from December 1961 onwards when Goa was liberated from the colonial rule.
- The government is going to bring 14 new categories, including acid attack survivors, under the Disability Act, 2016.
- Currently, it provides benefits to seven categories including blindness, hearing impairment, mental illness and leprosy.
- The new categories which will be added include muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, dwarfism, thalassemia, multiple disabilities (two or more disabilities).
- The government today launched the ‘Darwaza Band’ campaign supported by the World Bank, to promote the use of toilets and freedom from open defecation across the country.
- Note : Several Bollywood actors like Amitabh Bachchan and Anushka Sharma will help promote the campaign.
- Goa CM Manohar Parrikar today announced that buying or selling of plastic bags in the state will be an offence from July and defaulters can be fined up to ₹5,000 for it.
- In support of the Indian Army, Cricketer Gautam Gambhir has started a campaign titled #SoldierSelfies.
- Under this campaign he asked people to take selfies with soldiers and post them on social media with the above hashtag.
- Mumbai MLA Bharati Lavekar has launched India’s first digital bank for sanitary pads on the occasion of World Menstrual Hygiene Day on Sunday.
Banking, Business & Economic Affairs
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will soon put into circulation new notes in One Rupee denomination while existing notes and coins will continue to be legal tender.
- Features of this new Rupee Note :
- The new notes, printed by the Government of India, will be predominantly pink-green in colour.
- The design on the reverse side will consist of the picture of ‘Sagar Samrat‘, the oil exploration platform.
- The notes will have the watermark of Ashoka Pillar in the window.
- The notes will have the hidden numeral ‘1’ in the centre and the hidden word ‘Bharat’ (in Hindi) vertically arranged on the right.
- They will also feature a replica of new one rupee coin with ₹ symbol of 2017.
- Russia’s largest bank Sberbank is going to deliver cash via drones, its Deputy Chairman Stanislav Kuznetsov has announced today.
- The cash delivered through the drones would come with certain security features like permanent ink taint to catch the thieves red-handed.
- Features of this new Rupee Note :
Awards & Honours
- 6th Lonely Planet India Travel Awards
- Thailand was named the world’s best destination for relaxation
- Austria was named the Best destination for Romance
- Spain was named the Best destination for food and drink
- Japan was named the Best destination for culture.
- Singapore was named the Best family destination.
- The UN has appointed Indian Supreme Court advocate and human rights lawyer Indira Jaisingto lead a probe into alleged rape, torture, and killings by security forces against Rohingya Muslims in Myanmar’s Rakhine state.
- Yoshie Oka (86), the first person to raise the alarm outside Hiroshima that the Japanese city had been hit by an atomic bomb, has died today.
- Oka, who was then 14 years old, was working in Hiroshima as a communications operator at an underground command centre of the Imperial Japanese Army.
- Veteran Telugu director-actor Dasari Narayana Rao (75) passed away.
- The two-time National Award-winning filmmaker has directed over 140 films.
- He is known for films like ‘Premabhishekam’, ‘Meghasandesham’, ‘Osey Ramulamma’ and ‘Tata Manavadu’.
- Note : He held the record for directing the most number of films